So far, "Carrie" has not affected our lives much one way or the other. Vija talks about her all the time and we're always just like, "Oh, really? That's interesting."
We don't mean to be patronizing, it's just that when you don't know the person, what is there to say?
Oh, sometimes I ask her specific questions, such as, "What does Carrie look like? What does she say to you?" etc., etc., because I want to rule out the possibility that she's communicating with the spirit world, as Sylvia Browne instructed me to do. But otherwise, it's been no big deal.
Today, however, I found myself in a bit of a pickle with this birthday business. I mean, Vija had a present for Carrie and everything (a couple of cardboard bricks, but still). And all day whenever she started talking about how she's going to Carrie's birthday party, I told her, "OK, after Jonas wakes up from his nap, we'll go."
Now I see I should have just cut if off at the pass. But what could I have said? "There is no Carrie and there is no birthday party" just seems so gosh-darned mean. If only the birthday party was supposed to be at our house. Then we could all have sat around the little Ikea table, had tea, opened some presents.
But no.
It's at some undisclosed location on our street. Take that back - the street address, according to Vija, is "987665230517."
So, that helps.
Anyway, if there is anyone out there who can offer advice, I sure would appreciate it.

Vija and Carrie
2 comments:
Looks good Rima. Of course, you are sitting right next to me and I just told you so in person.
I just had spontaneous eruptive "Heh!" at the picture of Vija and Carrie there at the end. Darn funny.
I'm no help in the imaginary friend department. Coley makes things up about real people who are otherwise ensconced in other activities... Sorry, hun, Daddy's at work, Auntie's at work, Granny's in Texas. That sort of thing.
I can totally relate to hoping she'd forget. Now that I have two they actually REMIND each other of things and I want to say SHHH! She didn't remember that! Now you went and RUINED IT!
Best Parent O' The Year, that's me.
Post a Comment