Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Well, Hello Deer

Kids and I were lunching on some leftover pizza and freeze-dried corn yesterday when I looked out the kitchen window and saw this:



Uh, yeah.

You should have seen the camera-hunting frenzy that ensued. Because that deer had "blog" written all over it, you know what I mean? So after locating my camera in here:


Really? Where do you keep yours?. . . I ran outside and started clicking away all paparazzi style. It was like that deer was Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt and I was freakin' Just Jared.

My forest friend paused for a moment in the midst of chewing an apple he had actually plucked from our very own apple tree, and he and I locked eyes. And do you know what that deer telepathically communicated to me?

I'm having lunch. Is there something I can help you with?

Boy, did I feel like a heel!

But that didn't stop me from taking just a few more shots before scurrying back to the house in time to stop Jonas from launching himself out of his high chair, seat belt and all.

Another thing I learned during this zen moment was that my camera has an extremely handy little "record" feature whereby a person can actually take live footage! Which I did, but I'll spare you the Blair Witch Project cinematography for now.

Here's another picture, just to prove to you that Bambi was in my back yard and also to illustrate the unfortunate way in which our throwaway lifestyle is encroaching on mother nature's right to thrive:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't get too close, there, J. Haven't you ever seen "When Animals Attack?" And, if you're still wearing Jean-Paul Gautier, you may have found yourself in very real danger... They LOVE grapefruit!

MomSmoo said...

Yeah, I live in a busy neighborhood and it freaks me out whenever I see a deer running down the street. Go suburbs!

Anonymous said...

Next thing you know that black bear from Gates Mills will be lunching with you, too!

Rebecca is Fabulous said...

Lord, I know how you feel. Every time I see a moose, I go between awe, fear, and guilt.

By the way, that was a GIANT deer. That deer ate bambi.

JChevais said...

That was a really big deer. He also had a face full of scorn.

Wow.

Unknown said...

Fear the deer:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15692141/

Bill Braine said...

That is one ma-toor specimen. And at just the right time of year to go antler-a-mano with a camera-toting blogger. Good thing you used the zoom.