As spa virgins, we were anxious about the rules of etiquette.
Because we are two people who will spend a good half hour debating whether or not to tip the airport shuttle driver (And if so, how much? Should we slip it to him during a handshake or just run up and throw all our change in his hand? What if the exchange is fumbled and our meager contribution ends up on the ground? We would never be able to ride the airport shuttle again, etc., etc.), we spent a great deal of time before our scheduled spa appointment discussing various scenarios.
The P-Dog, for example, was prepared to don his bathrobe whilst in our hotel room, then hoof it through the series of interconnected tunnels that lead from the hotel to the spa in his robe and slippers. We discussed this for at least ten minutes before deciding it’s possible they may have robes for us to change into at the spa and darn it all to heck, we’ll just go in our street clothes.
But.
To shower or not to shower?
To shave or not to shave?
And the biggest question of all:
Rimarama: Are you going to take your pants off?”
P-Dog: “Are you?”
Rimarama: “What if you accidentally pitch a tent?”
Silence.
P-Dog: “I don’t think that’s likely.”
Rimarama: I’m afraid that you'll pitch a tent and that I'll fart. If I am, in fact, able to achieve a state of relaxation.
P-Dog: I guess that’s possible.
Rimarama: Are you insinuating that I would fart during my massage?
And so forth.
On the morning of our appointment, we presented ourselves in the spa reception area, where we were greeted by an attendant who gave us detailed instructions about where each of us was to go and what each of us was to do.
Instructions to which I paid no nevermind because I was too busy trying to decide if I was going to stay in my skivvies or not and fretting over the possibility that the P-Dog might inadvertently pitch a tent. I was prepared to die of embarrassment for him if this should happen, even though he appeared to be untroubled by the possibility.
In the ladies locker room, I was handed a pair of child size slippers in a size five and a half (oh, the injustice!), a one-size-fits-all-except-me robe, a plastic bag I considered puking into, and a locker key.
Once in my spa duds, I really had no idea where to go or what to do. The person who gave me the robe and slippers was nowhere in sight, and I seemed to recall something about meeting up with the P-Dog in the communal area, so I embarked on a little tour.
I got lost and ended up in the bowels of spaland, where I saw some frightening things:
What in God's Name are those nozzles for?
Eventually, an employee found me. She seemed a little skeptical (“Are you sure that’s what they told you?”) when I explained that I had been instructed to come down here and wait for my husband in this here communal area, but she went ahead and summoned him forth from the actual communal area, where he had been contentedly sipping green tea and munching on an apple like a model client.
Once our massages got underway, things went very smoothly. The massage therapists were consummate professionals and I am happy to report that the underwear dilemma turned out to be a non-issue.
I was so relaxed, that when I tried to speak up to tell the massage therapist what a great job she was doing, my words came out all garbled up. Then I just gave up and smiled into my face pillow for the remainder of the session.
It was awesome.
10 comments:
It's for these reasons that I'm a little skeered of spas. I just go to my massage lady with the one room so I don't get confused about where to go and such. That said, I have cultivated a complete lack of modesty and am out of my clothes before she can say, "Take off your clothes and slip under the covers."
Soooo did you take of the undies or what? How did that go down?
The spa looks great but those nozzles scare me too. WTF?
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Did your massages come with happy endings?? If so, sign me up!
as one, i have to tell you: we are not masseurs, we are massage therapists (masseurs do sexual favors)...
oh and the nozzles? that's called hydrotherapy. they do a full body sugar scrub and then position the nozzles over you to rinse and massage...it's GREAT!
so?!?!? for all us massage virgins, are we supposed to take our underwear off?!?!
Biddy - thanks for the elucidating the difference between a masseur and a massage therapist. I had NO IDEA! I am blushing scarlet right now! Holy crap. I might just have to do a little editing . . .
Rebecca and Miss - Take 'em off, girls!
I leave for the spa in two days! And I will strip buck naked in public for a massage.
Yay. I'm doing a little dance of happiness that you "went all the way". Leaving the undies on would just be wrong...
So glad you had fun.
my first massage...when the therapist came to the waiting room to escort me to the "room." He sort of took my hand and bowed or something. It was very awkward. But then again, when I met my first New Yorker (an older man, professional setting) and he attempted to do the cheek-air-kiss, I accidentally turned my head and brushed his lips with mine.
I so do not do well with those sorts of things...you know, protocol, etiquette and shit.
My neighbor gets a masseuse to come to their house. I guess that helps with some of the etiquette awkwardness as it's on her own turf but hey, who's got that kind of mulah?
So, what were those nozzles for?!!!
Post a Comment