Saturday, November 03, 2007

Another Sign of Aging

Yesterday evening, as the P-Dog prepared to go out with a friend, I noticed that the bottoms of his jeans were rolled up in a way that was not pleasing to me.

"For the love of God, P-Dog, will you please unroll those jeans? That is so totally 80s!" I chided, pointing my eyeballs to the heavens.

As the P-Dog adjusted the hems, I took note of his shoes, stumped as to how they had previously escaped my attention.

(They don't call me "eagle eyes" for nothing.)

"And those Docs!" I practically fell off the couch. "Those are so 80s, it makes me want to spray my hair pink and go to a Smiths concert! And smoke a clove! At Denny's!" I yelped. "What's next? A safety pin nose ring?"

"Aren't you going to comment on my leather jacket?" P-Dog said, as he pulled his collar up around his ears and stepped out the door.

I shouldn't be so hard on the P-Dog.

After all, I'm writing this post in a Depeche Mode concert tee and some chunky Mary Janes.

But the only safety pin I'm sporting is holding up my pants.

18 comments:

Suz said...

My TIVO automatically recorded Fast Times at Ridgemont High for me last night. Even my television knows I'm stuck in the 80's! Sigh.

tesilein said...

There's something comforting about being "sedated in the 80s" - everything today is in a constant state of flux, or maybe I am just more aware now.

Family Adventure said...

Poor P-Dog - he takes it well, though, doesn't he?

Rima, you know you crack me up, as I've told you on many occasions. But lines like "pointing my eyeballs to the heavens" just make me envious. Stop that, will you?

Heidi

thailandchani said...

Remember all those Olivia Newton-John clothes?

Weird.. but I liked all that stuff. LOL

painted maypole said...

"But the only safety pin I'm sporting is holding up my pants."

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Marmite Breath said...

Last night the DJ asked if I had any requests.

"Anything 80s!" I yelled. Like, Come on Eileen!

The 80's were rockin'!!

zdoodlebub said...

I think it takes a little longer for trends to make their way from East to West (as in Denver) cuz I didn't covet the Docs till at least 1991. Loser.

alejna said...

Hey, Docs are timeless. Don't knock the Docs.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to got to a Smiths concert.

Anonymous said...

Dude. Flashback.

I love chunky Mary Janes.

Janet said...

I dug Depeche Mode and the Smiths in my youth. And guys in Docs.

I married my polar opposite although I still like to critique his clothes as he heads out the door (Really? You're going to wear your shirt sleeves rolled up like that? How OLD are those jeans?!!)

Jen said...

I love what you were wearing. LOVE it.

YEAH 80s!!!!!!

Karen MEG said...

The first thing I said to myself when I popped in today was "are those DOCs?" I loved my Docs, one of the best boots I've ever owned.

I'm always bugging my guy about what he tries to leave the house wearing. But I suppose I shouldn't give him too much hassle, as he's the one who bought me the boots in the first place oh so long ago. So he had hope at some point.

Oh well, I guess people are people (sorry!)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

STOP! You're making me die of laughter Rimarama! I haven't THOUGHT of Docs since 1987. And the Smiths? oh how I loved the Smiths and that deep sultry voice.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

It's official, BTW, you are my favorite daily dose of laughter.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, which tour?

Melissa said...

OK, this is where I confess I have a lot in common with P-Dog. My husband actually just bought a pair of black shoe polish because I refuse to stop wearing my black boots (much like P-Dogs, only much, much scruffier). And MY hubby? Well, he's thrilled out of his mind with the new retro-trend of girls wearing tights with boots and big shirts. It's hard to escape those early years...

Anonymous said...

How dare you post a pic of his shoes and not yours?!

gadzooks64 said...

Ahhhhhhh, the good ole '80s.

May they rest in peace.