The choir concert went off with nary a hitch this weekend.I say "nary" because at one point, I almost came to blows with the soprano to my left, who failed in her duty to lead the first row of singers into the circle formation in which we were to sing an a capella number around the periphery of the church.
I had to step in and save the day by leading our row out in the opposite direction. The entire encounter, during which I can be seen wildly gesticulating, then throwing my arms up in resignation before exiting stage right was recorded for posterity, and if I ever get a hold of the footage, I'll be sure to post it here.
I was also apprehended by the Fashion Police for wearing gold lame (la-may) and a polyester cape. (The photo above does not do this outfit justice.)

I must have skipped practice the day we voted on uniforms.
But I am happy to report that illness was successfully thwarted and I was able to sing with passion and gusto. After the show, several fans approached me not to complement my lark-like singing voice, but to mention how entertaining it was to watch me.
I took it as a complement.
In all seriousness, the concert was lovely. An extraordinary group of musicians accompanied us on strings for several pieces, including the Mozart Mass, and there were several phenomenal soloists from our own choir ranks, whose performances were all the more impressive because most of them are not professional singers.
We sang several pieces a capella (without accompaniment), one of which was a Gregorian Ave Maria chant and the other a haunting "Our Father" arrangement. Since we began as a church choir (we now also sing secular music by modern Lithuanian composers, as well as traditional folk pieces), this particular concert featured only religious music by mostly Lithuanian composers. Some pieces were sung in Latin, others in Lithuanian.
Unfortunately, none of the photos the P-dog took from the back of the darkened church came out. The group shot I'm posting here was taken a few weeks before the concert. I'm in the first row left, next to the choir director (looking not a day older than sixteen, I might add).
If I ever figure out how to post sound files, I'll post some of our recorded pieces.
15 comments:
Rimarama ChurchyMama....LOL. you are a good girl.
Congrats! Sounds like a great success. So the cd will be out in your local Barnes and Noble soon?
I'm just so impressed that you can sing. I have a lovely husky voice right now, due to laryngitis. But typically, I sound 14.
And you sing too? You truly are 32 flavors and then some RimaRama.
OF COURSE YOU, of all people, stepped in and saved the day. Who else? And that outfit? Ahhh, the outfit. :)
Way to go! I'm glad it was a success and you are feeling better.
I am so impressed ... singing, and in LATIN too!
I could just imagine you going all "Sopranos" on the Soprano; what a sight that would be in that spectacular gold lame outfit!
Good for you, though, it sounds like the concert went really well. I wish I could sing. Oh well...
You do look very cute in the photo BTW.
If anyone can pull off gold lame and polyester it is you. Glad to hear the throat didn't fail you this weekend.
I'm so glad it went well! That's one impressive staircase you guys are standing on! Definitely post audio clips if you can. I'd love to hear it.
You look hot in gold.
LOL. I'd love to see that footage sometime. Definitely post if you find it!
Oh, I would definitely like to hear some of the singing if you're able to post it. :)
I forgot to mention, tag, you're it.
Yay! I'm sure you rocked the heck out of that Lithuanian choir music. Sweet!
So glad you weren't done in by the same cold I'm suffering through. Poor, poor me.
Y'all look so ready in that picture! Bursting at the seams to break out some latin a capella. And you are by far the youngest one there. No doubt about it.
Glad it all went well. Hope to see the footage of you leading your flock. :)
Heidi
you do look about 16. ;) except for what appears to be a glass of wine in your hand. Can I see your ID, miss?
glad you managed to NOT hit the other soprano. This SO sounds like my sort of frustration, in my head thinking "duh! we practiced this. you walk over there and then stand over here. it is not that hard! get with the program! amateurs!!!"
any video of you gesticulating wildly will be much appreciated.
Post a Comment