This blog is having an identity crisis.
Sometimes it wants to be flip and sassy, giving you short, frequent posts about events or observations that are neither here nor there. (For example, how the P-Dawg* offered the 2007 Costco Shareholder Annual report to the V-meister as a bedtime story last night.)
Other times, it would like to regale you with more substantial tales centering around the pedestrian, yet mildly entertaining existence of its author.
Sometimes, it feels compelled to act as public servant, offering you totally serious tips and information. In fact, at this very moment, it is working on a post that details how the Rama family finally succeeded in curbing the V-meister's explosive tantrums. But it's a little nervous about publishing, because doing so would fly in the very face of the blog's reputation as class clown.
Other times, the blog would like to simply slap up a Utube link and call it a post.
Every once in awhile, the blog starts to beat itself up about it's rather shallow nature. It has contemplated posting deep, mind-bending material . . . but doing so would make it feel somewhat fraudulent. Because, when it comes right down to it, the blog just wants to have fun.
Sometimes, the blog has realized, it would like to watch Oprah and, you know, just veg out a little. It's even considering jumping on Mrs. Flinger's Blog Guilt Free bandwagon so that it could post like a fiend when it feels the urge, and then chill out for days at a time.
The blog has started and deleted approximately five bajillion posts that it deemed JUST PLAIN STUPID. Who really wants to read about how Rimarama almost burned the house down trying to reset a clock for the J-dog before remembering that he doesn't know how to tell time?
Not even the P-Dawg. (Sob.)
The blog wants to be all things to all people, but only on its own time.
It is obviously going bonkers and needs to put itself in timeout.
But! It also craves attention and cyberhugs (it is a co-dependent blog) from its dear and faithful readers.
All of this egomaniacal navel gazing has paralyzed the blog into a mute stupor. The blog wants only to eat a ginormous ice cream sundae and self-diagnose itself over an episode of House, M.D.
Also, the blog is insisting upon renaming itself "The Tufted Titmouse."
Is that so wrong?
P.S. The P-Dawg just informed me, "A lame post is better than no post at all." Is this true???
*He informs me I've been misspelling his name.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
28 comments:
I like your random, crazy, schizophrenic, "shallow" (your word, not mine), tufted little titmouse of a blog.
I worried about this same issue, too, since conventional blogging wisdom suggests sticking to one topic or theme.
But, you know what? I don't want to. I want to write about babies and food and Halloween projects and annoying toddler behavior and photography and shingles cream and recipes and Roombas and Martha Stewart and my crazy husband.
And I think that's OK. For the both of us. Now, come over here and let be pat your tuft until you feel better. (That's what she said!)
Just be you. Those of us who come to your site come because we want to get to know you. That includes all facets. Whether you are thinking deeply about an issue or simply being funny, it's all good.
Blogging Without Obligation is one of the things I've adopted lately. I post when I have something to say and feel no compulsion to talk when I have nothing to say, in a manner of speaking.
(The Blogging Without Obligation button is on my site, if you feel like snarfing it.)
Oh Rima, I love your blog. Just as is. Fun and brilliant. And if you blog less or different, I'll love it just the same.
I have the BWO (blogging without obligation) banner on my sidebar too under 'pause for the cause' because I have adopted the same blogging mentality. I like it more, when I do it less.
Tell P-Dawg to chill. :)
I love you blog!
Rima. I want you to breathe. It would seem to la liv roosting at the casa de madness that she might have told you some months ago that you should not worry so much. post if you like, post stupid, post smart, post funny, post seriously---but post authentically you. if she did not tell you this when you encountered your first public crise de nerf, she meant to. love your blog, but breathe. and remember the cardinal rule. (shall i email it to you?) ;)
Blog about whatever you want to whenever you want to. Really. Chances are, I'll laugh at you anyway (sorry), but only because I don't think you are capable of blogging without including a funny or two. In fact, I *dare* you to post a serious missive. So go ahead, prove me wrong!
Heidi :)
I love your style! A little of everything. It's great! And hilarious. I wouldn't change a thing!
Sure. I like lame posts. Especially if they're short. What others find lame, I usually find funny. Maybe that just means I have a lame sense of humor.
Normally I'm not so much on the "feelings" tip but you know what, if yer feelin' it, blog it. I totally know what you mean about thinking that there's gotta be some consistent theme or style to your blog but really, I think more important is the voice of your blog, no matter if it's been serious or funny. So don't worry 'bout it and keep it up.
Well for my 2 cents, I think you're one of the funniest and most interesting blogs to read. No matter what you write about.
And I dunno about "any post is better than no post". I haven't posted in 5 days because I got nuttin t'say. Soon though...
If you post when you don't want to, you will make this into a chore. None of us need more chores.
and now more silly words:
Tillamook
Walla Walla
Willamette
here's a cyberhug to help with your codependency
post whatever you want. some days can be funny, some can be serious. it's all good. honestly.
It's my bloggy and I'll post if I want to!
Post if I want to!
Post if I want to!
You would post, too, if this happened toooo youuuuu!!!!!
I couldn't resist the song in my head. Dude.
I know *exactly* what you mean. My blog doesn't know what the hell it wants to be when it grows up. But guess what? I'm doing it for free! So I can do whatever I want! When you think of it that way, it's really quite liberating.
Keep writing. I dig it all.
Hey, even those of us who write of farts and skid marks aren't always that shallow.
We have deep moments and should embrace them.
I'd LOVE to hear the solution to explosive tantrums.
As far as a lame post better than none at all, I'm not sure about that.
But a lame post is a h#ll of a lot better than lots of guest posters. heh.
Post what you feel. What ever cranks your tractor at that moment, silly, video, whatever. I always wonder what I will find when I get here! So you are an adventure to visit! And if you don't want to post, don't! Just make sure you come back again.
P-dawg is 100% correct. A lame post from you is better than a lot of other posts out there in cyberspace. I find I flit around a lot with my blog too. Sometimes I find myself inspired, but not too often. Funny though, I find my "lamest" posts are often the ones that seem to get the most traffic!
Keep 'em coming, however/ whichever way you want... you should be feeling the cyberhugs from little ole me, anyway, for what it's worth ;)
This was a great post - I liked it a lot. This blog - very cute!! I like variety too - so your blog is right up my alley! Keep up the good work. See ya. Kellan
I'm with ya sistah. Sometimes I forget I even have a blog and don't visit it for 2.5 days. I've decided that as soon as my blog becomes a headache to maintain, it's time to quit.
And this post was good, in case you were wondering.
I get addicted to people's blogs ... yours included and find myself reading them as a way to keep up with my new cyber friend. So I love hearing what's going on in your life ... whether it's lame or not : )
Hee hee. This was cute. I have the same thing going on. Mostly I'm flip and fun but then I post something serious, usually about Sugarplum. There is no segue, it seems weird.
And I started blogging thinking I had serious things to say, but turns out, not so much.
I dunno - I think that the Tufted Titmouse is kind of a great blog name. Titmouse, heh.
Join! Join thedarkside! It's because of my freakish, daily, compulsive blog crisis that I had to come up with some excuse for why I never post.
Your excuse (trying to be witty!) is much better.
You're too funny, without even trying, to ever write something lame.
Yes! Post away. It's your blog, darn it, and I like it.
I feel your woe. But, we love you - whatever you write.
Personally, I wish I had deleted a bijillion (did you say?) posts instead of publishing them because it is better to post than not. After they've been up, I tend to think they must come DOWN.
Methinks your blog's been smoking too many banana peels, and should lay off the junk! Because everyone loves the Tufted Titmouse.
Perhaps he/she/it should take a page from my blog and do whatever the hell he/she/it wants. My blog ain't nobody's bitch!
(My blog made me say that. Actually, it cares very much what other people think of it, and weeps softly in its corner of the interweb when it doesn't get more than a few comments on any given post. It tries so hard to be liked, after all.)
I am a big fan of your tufted titmousing too! Keep on keeping on. We like you!
Blog on sister! Me likee you too.
Lovely Rima,
This is your blog. Post what you want to, darling.
The more true to yourself you are, the better.
xo,
J
Post a Comment