I'll be honest: Every time I read a post about somebody Wii-ing it up on this new-fangled video game system the kids are playing nowadays, I say to myself, "Sounds fun, but . . .
1) "Is it postworthy?"
and
2) "Could it possibly be better than playing Frogger on a Commodore 64?"
We were at a friend's house for a party last night and there was a commotion in the basement.
I went down to investigate, only to find myself smack dab in the middle of a heated Wii tennis match between two Lithuanian immigrants.
So engaged were they in the action being projected onto a vast expanse of basement drywall, that they barely noticed the assembled children making bunny ears and various other shadow figures in the middle of their virtual court.
Never one to miss out on the action, I challenged my friend V to a match.
The gymnastics and harp lessons my parents had me enrolled in for all those years?
What a colossal freakin' waste of time.
Turns out that I'm a natural virtual tennis pro.
I picked this sport up with a quickness, my friends, and I never looked back.
I'll let you in on a dirty little Wii secret, too: the trick is to pretend as though you are actually playing real tennis on an actual tennis court.
Go ahead and hop around the basement, shuffle to and from the virtual net, swear like a trucker, and rock that virtual sweat visor.
This is the only way to win.
I probably don't have to tell you that I creamed the pants off my friend V with my powerhouse serves and deft backhand volleys.
Except for the negligible two or three times when my visual-spatial judgment failed me and I collided with the wall, my form was impeccable and the calories burned were most likely on par with what I would have worked off if I were, say, Jazzercizing with a hangover.
And I would still be in that basement now, running in place and yelling at the screen like a pint-sized female version of John McEnroe, were it not for the unfortunate fact that I accidentally whacked the little J-dog upside the head with my virtual tennis racket when he crept up behind me in the dark, bringing the evening's match to an abrupt close.
The P-Dawg and I are now conducting our home search around the singular criteria that there must be a wide enough expanse of drywall in the basement for us to stage nightly Wii tournaments.
Monday, June 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
You could also buy a screen if there isn't a wall that works... The screen is also great for movie nights... movies at home are better because the snack as are free and you can pause for bathroom breaks, etc.
So, let me get this straight, are you saying Wii IS better than Frogger?
Daaaaaaaaaaaang.
So did you wear a sweat band on your head too? My visual says yes.
Lalalalala... fingers in my ears... I'm not listening....
(I'm trying very hard NOT to get sucked into the Wii vortex by ignoring all media surrounding it.)
Lalalalala....
Awesome! Can we be neighbors? I heart sports that don't require exposure to sunlight or heat.
HEY! You missed the part where I kicked your ASSSSSS after learning to use that front guy!
I would have paid big bucks to have seen it! I want a Wii, but I fear the kids would take it away from me.
I must be the last person on earth who hasn't played with a Wii yet. I really must go buy one.
can you please tell my man that I need a Wii?
Enough with our imaginations. Give us the video of your match. Please! So wonderful to imagine!
You have just reminded me that I too could play Wii tennis - I have been so ensconced in the Wii Fit that I forgot about the fun I had with that one too. Thanks for that Rima.
Now if I could only remember whose blog it is that has a mini blog on it about all the wii 'incidents' that have happened to people....leave it with me - that is hilarious and a subtle warning.
Addictive is putting it mildly.
I NEED a Wii Fit.
Wii Boxing will upgrade your "jazzercise w/hangover" workout to "jogging w/hangover". Seriously, it's a true workout for the arm flab.
"...the calories burned were most likely on par with what I would have worked off if I were, say, Jazzercizing with a hangover."
ROFL!
And hey...next time?
Video. For us. I beg you.
I know I would love Wii if I tried it, especially since I was such a video game junkie as a kid but for some reason haven't gotten around to it.
Oh maybe it's cuz none of our friends are cool like that to have one. damn.
I want one too! It turns out I am a bit of a natural wii bowler. Funny thing is that in real life I bowl like Barack Obama.
I have never tried playing any Wii games - I have a stand-up pin ball machine in my basement and that's addictive enough!
Hee hee. May you be blessed with wii in the future. Amen.
I'm only just now coming around to wanting a Wii...and your story is pushing me closer to the edge! It sounds like a lot of fun.
Dude, am I the only person who got their Wii and went, "EH"?
I am spectacularly uncoordinated.
I miss the old Nintendo. Square, arrows, two buttons. Go, Super Mario.
Sigh...
i too have been tempted by the wii. maybe santa will bring one for Xmas
If you haven't already...do NOT try Guitar Hero on the wii.
Heidi
Post a Comment