I no longer remember the exact subject of our profound discourse, but at some point I made a self-deprecating comment that my peers considered a real knee-slapper.
"You're funny, Rimarama!" one of them said. "Yeah! You totally crack me up!" the other seconded.
This pleased me to no end. I had never been called "funny" before, but if it could get me positive attention from the Tatum O'Neil of our second grade class, whose beauty I admired and Muppets lunch box I coveted, then surely it wasn't a bad thing to be.
Desperately trying to ride the wave as long as I could, I continued making wisecracks in the same vein that had originally caught my peers' attention.
When I ran out of funny things to say, I pretended to choke on a jujubee.
From that day forward, I made it a point of cultivating the art of slapstick comedy, reveling in the satisfaction of eliciting a laugh, however cheaply attained.
To this end, I've masterminded and acted out many a campfire skit, each one ending with me making a fool of myself in one form or another. One skit had me running around the campfire in circles shouting nonsense words before finally collapsing in front of the embers a la John Cleese.
Needless to say, it was a runaway hit.
I used to practice rolling with fake punches, and I'll tell you another secret: I cannot approach a slow moving vehicle without contemplating a Miami Vice style hood rollover. It's one of my trademark moves.
So the other day, my friend V was over with her two kids, who are very close in age to the J-dog and V-meister. J-dog has always been the baby of the bunch though, and until just recently, he's been treated as such.
The kids were all lined up at the Little Tykes picnic table, eating their beans-n-wienies, when the little J-dog accidentally fell backwards off his bench. It was very "Now you see him, now you don't-ish" and therefore quite funny.
The other kids thought it was pretty hilarious, too. But it turns out that they weren't laughing at the little J-dog, so much as laughing with him.
Once a mere bit player, putzing around the posse's periphery and being reprimanded for knocking over the block tower or messing up the game, he was now the star of the show.
And he was instinctively aware of this turn of events, because only five seconds after popping back up and re-situating himself at the table, the little J-dog was down for the count again.
Peals of laughter and clapping ensued.
Like his mom before him, the little J-dog recognizes an audience when he sees one (and neither does he know how to quit while he's ahead). I'd venture to say that he fell off that picnic bench another ten or so times, each one accompanied by raucous laughter and enthusiasm from the peanut gallery.
Before you knew it, the V-meister had also bitten the dust, closely followed by her friend, V-boy.
Kids were falling backwards off that picnic bench like dominoes, again and again, all following the J-dog's irresistible example.
After giving him fair warning that it was time to cut it out before someone got hurt, I put him in time-out by the rose bushes.
And you know what? No sooner was he allowed back at the table, he started it up again.
And me, well, I just couldn't bring myself to re-discipline the little stinker. A regular Richard Pryor, that one. He got his mama's joker gene, and I love him for it.
I can't wait for the day when the two of us can do a BBC skit together. Soon, he'll be regaling his own buddies with fake hood rollovers out in the school parking lot, and I'll be there, coaching and cheering him on.
*************************************************************************************
Also of Note:
- That's it, folks. Inspired by Becca and encouraged by the commenters on this post, I am going to try and arrange a meeting with Barack Obama to get myself on the ticket as Veep. How, I ask you, can "Obama-Rama" lose?
- It's recently come to my attention, through misguided Google searches, that there is a cast member named "Rima" on the Aussie version of "Big Brother" who is one meter tall, has made some nekkid videos, and apparently also worked as a v1brator saleswoman at some point or another. I AM NOT THAT RIMA. (Am at least two meters tall, maybe even three.)
21 comments:
That's an adorable picture of him!
You two will make a great comedy team. After your term as VP is over, naturally.
And way to try and cover up that gig on Big Brother. Heh. You should have known we'd find out.
What a cutie! Sounds like tons of fun too.
Please disregard my email with the v1brator questions. I'm glad you cleared that up. How embarrassing.
Thanks for the link!
I would totally vote Obama Rama. You could eveb pull out some of the slapstick moves to distract people if there were any white house scandals.
Clearly the funny apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Let us know when the cable show comes through. I'm thinking Mary Tyler Moore-ish meets The Gong Show. Eh?
Um, Rima, a meter is about three feet, so that would make you from six to nine feet tall.
Just saying.
I would pay good money to see your Miami Vice hood rollover move.
Um, P-Dawg, I'm not taking any crap from someone who Googled "Rima porn star midget" the minute after reading my post.
Just saying.
youtube videos of your comedy sketches will be expected.
and obama-rama? I am SO voting for you!!!!
How could the kid not be funny? And to try and throw us all off the track of your Big Brother stay! heh!!
How could you ever discipline such an adorable little face?
And who gooles Rima Porn Star Midget?
I'M just saying....
Obama Rama....how could anyone turn that down. Although the secret service might not let you do Miami Vice moves anymore...so sad.
Hilarious imagining you doing this stuff. And that boy. That little smile at the corner of his mouth. Yep, he's got those genes of yours!
Seriously. You are funny! And I see it is definitely running in your family. :)
Obama-Rama! That is priceless!
I totally relate to this post. My boy one ups me though. My little Parker takes bathroom humor to the bank.
How could HE not be Richard Pryor with YOU as his Mom. The funniest blogger I know.
if you're 3 meters tall, you HAVE to be the VP.
Obama Rama!!!!!! I am so there!
Obama-Rama is a shoe-in for sure. Plus you'll have your own little sidekick to deflect scary political questions...
"Rima, how would you handle an Iraq exit strategy?"
Cue you and cute boy falling backward off the podium.
How could that lose?
Well, that does it. Rimarama as veep seals the Obama deal.
The apple doesn't fall far...
he's a cute joker, your little guy!
Howdy, I just found your blog via 'get in the car'. I have enjoyed the read and am very pleased to read that you are NOT the annoying Rima on Aussie Big Brother. I was forced to sit through a few minutes of the insanity and found that she was really really painful. She also sounded very boring with little concept on reality - your reality is much more interesting to discover.
Post a Comment