Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Move Over, Jennifer Beals

Did you know that Jazzercise is still around? I was under the impression that it had gone the way of moon boots and parachute pants until a friend of a friend was talking about how much she luuuurves her Jazzercise class. My friend was considering a trial session and asked if I wanted to go, too.

And, because I would rather do my taxes or get a root canal or even crawl through the tunnel o' germs at Chuck-E-Cheeze than perform exercise of any kind, I said, "I would totally love to go!!!!!!"

I thought I could handle it if I went with someone I knew. Because I am an independent woman who doesn't need anybody to hold my hand when I use a public restroom or attend an exercise session.

So, even though I was totally dreading it, had not a stitch to wear, and was convinced I'd end up blacking out and sitting in the back of the gym with my head between my legs, I was willing to try it as long as the buddy system was going to be in place.

I know. Such a wuss.

But then D calls me at the eleventh hour to tell me she can't go and yadda, yadda, yadda, but of course, I am still welcome to go by myself.

BUT I CAN'T GO BY MYSELF.

D: "OK, then just call E and let her know we have to reschedule."

Me: "Um, can you call her?"

D: "I called her yesterday to reschedule for today, so it's your turn."

Me: "No, it's totally your responsibility to call because you're the one whose backing out."

D: "Can you please just call her."

Me: "I don't have her number." (lie)

D: "I don't have it, either (bold face lie), so looks like you're going. We can't stand her up."

Me: "I'm not calling her."

And it continued this way for a good ten minutes before my friend faked an incoming call just to get off the phone with me.

So I went.

And holy cow, it was so much fun! I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed myself. No cold compresses, no paramedics, no inhalers were needed.

Look out, Jennifer Beals! Rimarama is in. da. house. And she's wearing Spandex.

There were a couple of close calls when I veered in the wrong direction during a gallop/lunge combo and entered the personal space of fellow Jazzercizers, but everyone was cool with it. We were a room full of women of all shapes, ages, and sizes, rocking out to Annie Lennox and shaking our booties like it was 1983.

And I'm going to go again. By my very brave self. And maybe I'll lose those last five baby pounds.

My only regret was wearing my hi-top Reebox with leg warmers, leotard, and a sweat visor, because wouldn't you know it, everyone else was in yoga gear.

Live and learn, my friends, live and learn.

The Jazzercising Facility

11 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Jazzercise, eh?

I know what you mean about going solo in new situations. We all feel better with a buddy. So glad for you that you were brave and had fun without her!

Rebecca is Fabulous said...

nice...you are much braver than i...i don't even think of going to the gym without my gym buddy...

JChevais said...

sounds like fun! I would totally have gone with you.

Anonymous said...

That's so cool that you went. Isn't it funny how when you dread going to something and almost don't go, sometimes it actually ends up being something that you enjoy? Kudos to you for doing it and loving it!

Anonymous said...

You are very brave. I would not have gone and would have missed out on a cool experience.

The facility looks crazy nice.

Anonymous said...

Go girl! If I could find one local, I would totally do it!

Crystal said...

My mom's been trying to get me to go, but I'm scared. I better toughen up, I guess.

OhTheJoys said...

"My only regret was wearing my hi-top Reebox with leg warmers, leotard, and a sweat visor, because wouldn't you know it, everyone else was in yoga gear."

DORKS UNITE!!!

Liv said...

Dude. Do you know how many pairs of black reebok hi-tops I had? And, it's really important to stack your hot pink and turquoise socks. Rock it, sister!

Cousins said...

Stop. I can't stop laughing.

Biddy said...

parachute pants are out of style? crap....

lmao what, no picture of your hott outfit?!