Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Blog and Chain is Circling the Drain

Ever since I began writing this blog two months ago, I’ve lived in fear of the day there will be nothing to post about tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that.

When the blog was born, my friend, V, informed me that if I wished it to survive, I must post faithfully every single day, even if it’s just a picture of my kid sitting on the crapper, or my readers will look elsewhere for their daily Lithuanian OCD drama mama fix. The blog must be clothed, fed, and taken out for walks. It also seems to require nurturing and TLC, even the occasional frappuccino.

It is all too much to bear.

I did not foresee this little blog of mine becoming the living, breathing organism that it seems to have evolved into. It is not at all like the pet rock I thought it would be.

I am half expecting to find it belly-up one of these mornings when I turn on the laptop. I’ll log into the 'ole Blogger account to find a message to the tune of, “We’re sorry. This blog is dead.”

How can anyone live with that kind of pressure?

If I haven’t posted in a day or two, I can hear the blog beckoning as I sit sprawled on the brown chair, watching E! True Hollywood Story and eating candy corn. It croaks, “Turn TV off. Olsen Twins have each other, but blog is lonely. Must come write.”

I try to point my internet browser towards Ebay, but the blog hijacks the controls and I am forced to pay it heed. Why did no one tell me about the old blog and chain?

So.

Two months into my blogreer, and the wellspring of postable musings has run completely dry.

I will go now and make my offering to the patron saint of bloggers so that tomorrow my muse may re-appear.

And hopefully this bone I fed the little sucker today will keep it alive until then.

15 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Hey, Rima,
I understand the well running dry. I was about to post a long rant about the wonderful things that vinegar can do. I still might. But, holy crap, isn't there ANYthing else I can write about??!

But don't feel pressured to write every day. Figure out a comfortable posting schedule that works for you and stick to it. Declare certain days of the week "Photo Day" or whatever so that you have a plan set out. And give yourself a break. It's ok not to write for a while. It gives you more time to experience more things which you can then write about!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not but I love your blog! You make funnies all the time. I had a hell of a time my first few months of blogging, just look at my archives!! Scary! Just have fun with your writing. If you cant think of something to write, thats OK. I did the whole "feeling pressured to write" thing too and now I just think of something random and run with it. Or I scour around the net for stupid news or crap like that and I just make a post about it. again, just try and have fun. Here's an idea, go get your eyebrows waxed then come back and write about it!

Anonymous said...

Nah, you could disappear for a week and I would still get my Lithuanian OCD mama drama fix here.

Rebecca is Fabulous said...

Yeah...I know how you feel...but we'll come back again and again to check to see if you wrote anything, and ohmygod, your counter will skyrocket! :)

Liv said...

Quick. Get over this feeling. Take a day off. If you write because you feel you ought to, the writing starts to suck. Do less, and watch it grow. Blogs can sometimes be like chia pets. And when you blog again, my google reader will let me know!

Cindy D. said...

I created a NeoPet way back in the late 1990's and eventually abandoned it. When my children discovered NeoPets, I logged in and found that my NeoPet, that I had neglected for many many months, was "dying" - but in fact, as not dead. I cared for it gently, brought it back to life, and then, as I am prone to do, neglected it again. I've discovered that NeoPets never die... and I believe that will be the case of a blog - the only way it can truly experience a proper death is with the use of the DELETE button. And then it's not really dead - it's just been deleted!

So all that to say, no matter what you do, you cannot and will not kill your blog nor will it die.

I'm still LOL'ing about your whole eyebrow thing :)

Audubon Ron said...

I feel like cat when let out. I got this territorial routine of hitting all the spots, marking my territory, visiting the porches of all the neighbors and finding my way back home in time for dinner. That’s my blog life. Before that I had an important career.

Hi, my name is Ron and I’m a blogaholic.

Hello Ron

painted maypole said...

ha ha. really, you don't have to post every day. People will come back. I aim to do at least every other day, but lots of blogs I read post only twice a week or so. do what works for you!

Janet said...

A blog shouldn't pressure you to write. It's wrong and proves that you are in a dysfunctional relationship. :)

Take a break. When you blog it, they will come.

S said...

Oh, God. The funny in this:

I am half expecting to find it belly-up one of these mornings when I turn on the laptop.

You do make me laugh!

Anonymous said...

Take a break if you need it. It'll survive a day or two, or three if need be. You don't want to start resenting it. Don't worry, no one will call child services on you ; )

Alex Elliot said...

I think a good portion of my posts could be labeled as diarrhea of the mouth.

zdoodlebub said...

Ditto to everyone who says you are funny, I love yer blog. You brighten my day. Take a break if you need to. We'll keep checking on you. Promise!

Anonymous said...

Love you, love your blog, take a break. I do, and you still read me. See! It's okay!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I just saw this. Twin brains.