Monday, October 01, 2007

Three is the New Thirteen

The little V-meister is not quite four years old and already I feel the two of us are on a collision course.

Is that even possible?

I’m writing this post at the local library, having flown the coop after serving dinner tonight. This (the need to flee) happens approximately every 28 days, but today was especially taxing because the V-meister seemed intent on breaking me.

Moments before the P-dog walked through the door this evening, J and V had been in the throes of a colossal meltdown that included screaming at a pitch just below the one that only dogs can hear (if they had just jacked it up one notch, all would have been well). The carnage was precipitated by the J-dog’s audacity in daring to edge his way to a spot next to the little V-meister on her thumb-sucking and hair twisting throne, aka the brown chair.

(Why is it that the screamfest always subsides two seconds before the hubster walks through the door in time to see you standing in the middle of the kitchen, chugging cooking wine straight from the bottle while two worn-out, albeit slightly red-eyed children, play quietly in the living room?)

Honestly.

But my sadness and anger today are mostly the result of a feeling that is always just beneath the surface of many of my interactions with the little V, and one that was bubbling closer to the top all day today: a sense that she is already gearing up to hate me.

I know that much of her behavior is common to children her age and maybe I’m just being hyper-sensitive, but sometimes her cold defiance and anger just totally floors me. How is it possible that this child whose Montessori teacher describes as a joy to have in the classroom, a child who practically oozes sweetness to total strangers, could morph into such a flailing little banshee at home?

I recognize that often, my not exactly placid reactions to her tantrums are not doing either of us any favors and I suspect that if she received more one-on-one attention from me, or if I was more mindful in the way I address her, some of our run-ins could be averted. I won’t deny that I have a tendency to give orders and don’t always preface my requests with a “please” or follow up with a “thank you”. Then again, I’ve known mothers who bend over backwards not to offend their children’s delicate sensibilities with stern language of any sort, and I can’t say they were any better behaved.

It’s possible that I could pick my battles more wisely. Why, for instance, couldn't I have let her poke and prod at her (lovingly prepared) lunch until it was time to get dressed for school instead of insisting that she hurry up and stop playing with it and did you know that there are children who don't get to eat lunch at all (oh, yes I did, but I did not mention where in the world they might be) and here you are, acting like it's rat poison! Why didn't I just let her pour sugar on her strawberries as she demanded tonight? It wouldn’t have killed either of us. (But the cavities! The hyperactivity! The sense of entitlement!) Am I in the minority in still believing that some things should be done just because I said so and I’m the mom?

But still.

I sense a storm brewing. And I don’t know how I’ll ever weather it if days like today are already getting the best of me.

*********************************************************************************

Home now. Feeling much better. It seems the little V-meister is not holding anything against me (a sure sign she hasn’t entered her teens yet). According to the P-dog, she was asking about me all night. When he tucked her in, she wanted to know if I’d be back to sing her the song that is part of our nightly bedtime ritual. When informed that I would probably return well after she's asleep, the little V-meister requested a song from Daddy, who obliged with the only one he knows by heart:

"C-O-F-F-E-E
Coffee is not for me
It’s the drink some people wake up with
That it makes them nervous is no myth.
Slaves to the coffee cup
They’ll never give coffee up.”

To which the V-meister responded,

“Where’s mama?????”

So maybe I still have a couple of good years left. . .

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there!
Oh, those dishes look so tasty.
I'm hungry already, especially in view of the fact I eat out alot since I am a lousy cook!
Enjoyed cruising by your site.
Later...
Julian
www.ijulian.blogspot.com

Jessica R. said...

When they stare you down in defiance and you see the attitude that's just going to keep growing and growing until they are moody unresponsive teens... man... it just breaks you.
Then minutes later they are their old sweet selves and you're sure that you must have imagined that look. But no. It was there. And it's definitely the beginning...
Sorry. That was no help at all. Just know that you aren't alone in the trenches!

Anonymous said...

I think kids test mommies boundaries the most. It is a sign of trust. For what that's worth in the middle of a rough day.
But seriously, I think even my baby has some sort of sixth sense that allows his to calm down completely right before his daddy walks in the door and then looks at me skeptically when I say the munchkin has been screaming all day. Grrr...

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ahem. Let me put my coffee aside so I can type... BUT. IT. WON'T. LET. ME..... AAAHHHH!!! I'm a SLAAAVVVVEEE!!!!!!


Motherhood rocks, doesn't it? My fear is always that I'll "lost" them before they hit the danger years (11-19 IMHO) and they won't come to me for help when they need it. Justin is on the mend and is "coming back" a bit, but Evan (5) is pulling away. It's a constant struggle with every child. No fun. Sorry. Hugs.

Amy said...

Hey, is that a new header I see?

Or maybe it's all the wine I've had to drink already this morning.

I was really glad to read this, you are not alone. M is only four, and already, the thought of THAT attitude being mixed with hormones makes me want to cry.

tesilein said...

I feel your pain. I actually said today "because I said so," after having vowed to myself that I would never utter those words. But sometimes, she won't accept my rational explanations, or even the irrational ones, and "because I said so / because I'm the mother" seems to stop the questions . . . for a time, at least.

Anonymous said...

This is my biggest fear with raising a daughter - the days that she will hate me. I know they are coming, and it totally clashes with my incessant need to be LIKED. Add on top of that a not-so-great relationship with my own mother, and who knows what is coming. I get the same coldness, the same disregard for simple requests like "Stop putting that penny in your mouth" or "Please let me change your diaper." Like some of your other commenters, people have told me she behaves so badly around me because she feels comfortable around me and can be her true self and knows I will always love her and BLAH BLAH. But sometimes it really hurts.

Janet said...

My middle daughter and I have had an up and down relationship from day one. It seems she is fiercely in love with me and, simultaneously, furious with me. Over our six years together, I have figured out that she is one of those highly sensitive children. She is prone to worry. She needs extra time to get things done and lots of forewarning and explanation before new events and change. She can still get under my skin much more quickly than my boy, but we are definitely in a better place now that I get where she is coming from. She'll probably still hate me when she's a teenager, though. Sigh.

I feel for you; it's hard.

Anonymous said...

Rima- Your mom doesn't read this blog, right?

S

painted maypole said...

love the song. hysterical! When my daughter was born my husband looked at me and said "16 years until she hates us" I informed him that it wouldn't take nearly that long.

Anonymous said...

Its scary when they start to get all independent and angsty. Some days, my son acts like his little world is going to come crashing down if he doesnt get what he wants...

Emery Jo said...

I'm head over heels in love with your blog. If I could, I would make it a really colorful friendship bracelet and invite it to my birthday parties.

I'm so sorry you had a rough day. I just might steal your idea of taking cover at the Library... the isles of my local Target are getting OLD.

Marmite Breath said...

I'm sorry to tell you that it may not get better. I'm not being a doom and gloom sayer, but seriously. I just had to write a note to my daughter's teacher asking if she was noticing any hostile behavior from Hadleigh, or if Had only directs it at me.
Every time I complain about it, a parent of a teenage girl says in a dark voice, "Just you wait...."

Which, of course, is not helping me any.

But we're still the Mama. And I think we're doing the best job we can. The kids don't know how good they've got it! So take heart!

Skiplovey said...

Take heart, you're doing a great job. You're the mom and the is the most important part. You can be friends later. She may act like she doesn't like the discipline but that is exactly what she needs. It will turn her into a wonderful, charming little girl rather than a B R A T. So keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I didn't know those last two lines of the C-O-F-F-E-E song - now my husband will really hate it when I sing it! (he likes the stuff, i despise it)