Sunday, December 09, 2007

Dress Rehearsal

The family Rama officially kicked off the holiday season yesterday with our annual trip to the Christmas tree farm:



With the V-meister and J-dog in tow on a sled, we trekked up and down the rows, searching for the perfect specimen.

While the P-dog, rent-a-saw in hand, was prepared to fell the first fir that batted an eyelash at him, I felt that none of the trees were speaking to me on a personal level.

But two meltdowns and one half hour later, an executive decision had to be made.

"OK, P-dog, I've had enough. Just pick a freakin' tree and start hacking."

("Not that one! GOD!")

*********************************************************************

Back at the homestead, we trimmed:


And decked the halls:


Migraine-O-Matic Jingle Bells


Santa Tankard


Stockings


The Button-Eyed Reindeer Quilt I Love to Hate


The V-meister and J-dog were positively giddy with excitement.

After all the decorating was done, the P-dog and I put on some Christmas music and relaxed on the couch with a glass of wine while the kids played the "Run Back and Forth Screaming Until Someone Gets Injured" game and fought over the nativity snow globe.

A festive vibe was most definitely in the air.

It took the little V-meister a bit longer than normal to fall asleep last night, but we chalked it up to the excitement of the day and a lingering cold.

And were therefore unprepared to find her at our bedside early this morning, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, fully dressed, and wearing a ginormous grin as she greeted us with a heartfelt:

"MERRY CHRISTMAS MAMA and DADDY!!!!!!"

(Awe, shit.)

She thought it was Christmas morning.

She had washed, dressed, and made her little bed.

Then waited, waited, waited.

Unable to stand the suspense any longer, she had decided it was time to rouse her lazy bones parents and let the present opening begin.

The look on her face when the P-dog gently explained that it wasn't Christmas just yet . . . it was heartbreaking.

It was all I could do not to scramble down to the basement and present her with an offering from my present stash as an early delivery from Santa.

Instead, we reminded her how many more times it would be necessary to go to bed and wake up before the big day finally arrived and allowed her to eat her chocolate Advent calendar for breakfast with a side of cartoons.

And after a brief moment of extreme pensiveness, she was OK with it.

She's a trooper, the little V.

Advent can be a real bitch.


Ooops, My Bad!

27 comments:

S said...

oh that poor sweet girl!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh the letdown! Can you imagine her letdown? The poor thing!

And the quilt you love to hate, hilarious!

Crystal said...

Okay, that is really sad. Really funny, but really sad. But at least you have a present stash--I would have to offer some tupperware, or an empty wine bottle, or something.

Crystal said...

p.s. On Google Reader I get a pic of you with the kids, but on your site it's P-dog with the kids. Hmmmmm...

Liv said...

love yer tree, ma'am.

alejna said...

Oh, the poor sweetie pie. I can imagine myself in her shoes.

I'm glad she's recovered.

Karen MEG said...

Oh, they get so excited don't they? We just trimmed our oh-so-fake ultimately land-fill tree (so bad... we'll have to do the real thing again eventually) and the girl was loving it! Your deco's look great!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Awe, poor V-meister! Too bad you aren't here down under...nothing of Christmas here...bah humbug.

Family Adventure said...

Poor little V-meister. The disappointment.

The house looks very festive! Good choice of tree, too. Did it speak to you?

LOL ("Not that one! GOD!")

We haven't gotten our tree up yet. Next weekend, I hope.

Thanks for the laughs.

Heidi

CelloBella said...

I've never been to a Christmas tree farm - you have to chop down your own tree! Amazing.
:)
CB

tesilein said...

Awww, poor V-meister. There's nothing like the daily promise of chocolate to console a child for the long month of December!

Jen said...

Poor baby girl!

Your mantel is gorgeous!!

painted maypole said...

awww...

patience is a virtue... or so they tell me. ;)

Janet said...

"Deck the halls with disappointment..."

Poor little thing.

Nice tree, though.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

We've had that happen occasionally. Corinne recently got THRILLED when I told her we were going to a Christmas party, which she took to mean she was getting a bike. Um, not just yet...

Anonymous said...

Such pretty decorations Ri! I wanna come over for Christmas!

JCK said...

Oh, that poor girl! And you! Hilarious "outtakes" on life of Rimarama! Bells do look like a migraine...yikes! Hide them, I say!

We got our tree yesterday, too. And the kids "helped" daddy as he was up and down ladders outside putting up lights. It was fun!

Sugarplum's Mom said...

Oh that is just too darn cute! Poor thing, but then, chocolate fixes everything.

Avery Gray said...

Ethan thinks the same thing. Every morning he says, "Come on, Mom and Dad. It's time to get up and open presents. It's Christmas Day!"

Advent is a bitch, indeed.

Skiplovey said...

Aww what a cutie. I probably would have caved and gave her a present anyway.

Candy said...

Ohh poor baby! I didn't see that one coming.

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor kid!

But Christmas *will* come. It always does... :)

Victoria said...

Bless her heart! (My Girl wakes up nearly every day asking "Is it **today**?!) Cute stockings, all lined up!

OhTheJoys said...

Wow! You're WAY ahead of me.

Jennifer said...

Aww, the poor little girl. (But, also? That's hilarious!)

Could she be any cuter?!!

Loralee Choate said...

Oh, that would have SUCKED to have to tell her it wasn't Christmas!!!

P.S.
As my naked tree is still sitting on its undecorated ass in my living room you are TOTALLY ahead of me.

Sigh...