P-Dawg: "I think you're pronouncing it wrong. I think it's pronounced, 'Me!Me!'"
Me: "I always thought it was pronounced "mem," like the French word that means "same."
P-Dawg: "I don't think the French even know how to get on the Internet." (You must understand that, back in our dating days, I broke up with the P-Dawg to go live in France for a year. But I don't think he's ever been a fan.)
According to the research I conducted on the world's foremost authority on everything, the word is pronounced "meem" and originates from the Greek, "mimeme" (something imitated).
************************************************************************************
My 100th post came and went last week, and it was about puke.
But Miss tagged me for this blogging meme today, which seemed easy and fitting enough in light of my 100 post landmark for me to give it a stab.
How long have you been blogging? Not quite six months.
What inspired you to start a blog and who are your mentors? I discovered that any fool could get a free blog on Blogger, and that was enough to inspire me to foist my thotz upon the world at large. But once I started writing, I realized that I very much enjoyed painting what I see as my quotidian existence in a humorous light. One of the first "journal" type blogs I discovered was, of course, Dooce, soon followed by Suburban Bliss and Oh, the Joys. Of the three, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that OTJ was/is a mentor figure.
Are you trying to make money, or blogging just for fun? Just for fun, but I've entertained the thought of trying to earn a monetary reward. My husband thinks I'm crazy for not slapping up an ad or two. I tell him I could probably find more change in the couch cushions than I could ever make from blogging, but we'll see.
- Before starting to blog, I was a very private citizen of the Internet, lurking on a few pregnancy and parenting message boards, but never jumping in. I thought I was too private a person to do that. I didn't realize that I would end up feeling so connected to my bloggy friends, and that has been the most rewarding part about it.
- Stuff I write looks pretty in "published" form.
- There are people out there who read my posts and leave comments! This makes me infinitely happy.
- Feeling as though I "can't keep up."
- Feelings of inadequacy for posting mainly cotton candy in the face of so much thought provoking and gorgeous prose in the blogging circles I frequent.
- The occasional fleeting sense that I am back in high school. And I'm wearing headgear.
************************************************************************************
Yes, I've been playing with my banner again. I can't help myself. However, I think this one might be a keeper, at least for awhile.
The J-dog is now healthy and no one else has fallen prey to the puking illness. (I am fully aware that I have just jinxed myself. What is the statute of limitations on this bug's incubation period, anyway?)
31 comments:
I thought it was "meem", too. Glad to know that was right. :)
I'm embarassed, I'm with P-DAWG (please don't inform him). Even though I know how it's pronounced my little brain still says me!me! in my head.
If you post cotton candy, I post slush. Seriously, you are one talented blogger.
Thanks for the tag, I promise to do it in 2008. 2009 at the very latest. :)
I continue to call it "mehm," because "self" (as translated from the French) is just right for whst it is, and I won't be convinced otherwise. Even if it's supposed to be "meem." I'm daring to be different, erhm, wrong.
I knew how to pronounce it, but had no idea where it came from! You learn something every day!
Love the new header. Very cool.
you know, i was really hoping to mouse over "the world's foremost authority on everything" and find a link to my blog. dammit. not everything is about me. my world has been rocked.
ps--jess is a great mentor, but i warn you, she is imaginary.
I'm laughing not only because you always make me laugh (voted for you today!), but because I also thought Meme was pronounced like the French. Enjoyed your answers and am so glad everyone is now well.
AND, LOVE THAT HEADER. Very retro and cool.
love the banner. and glad to know I've been pronouncing it correctly. in my head at least, because when have I ever said the word meme to anyone outloud? never.
and headgear. teenagers today will never know the shame.
"Meeem." What?? WTF, even? I don't know. That pronunciation makes me feel weird. Meeeem. Meem. I think I hate it.
Big ups to P-Dawg for his comment re: the French. Ha!
Meeem. Mais, non.
Hmmm...it never occurred to me to actually look it up. How sad is that? I just played around with different pronunciations in my head (and landed on the same one as Slouching Mom).
I totally get your reasons for blogging, but might I just add that you have absolutely nothing to feel inadequate about. Yours is one of the first blogs I found, and it ranks right up there at the top of my faves.
Heidi
I love the new banner! And I thought it was pronounced mem, too. Go figure.
LOVE the new banner! I pronounced it "mehm" as well (like men, but with the "m"). Hmm. Meemee or mehm, I really liked this one. And I love your blog. =)
I've always said mehm too. Huh.
"The occasional fleeting sense that I am back in high school. And I'm wearing headgear." - Yes! and so funny!
I like the new banner!!
Love the banner!
I like to pronounce it "meme." It's my inner, bilingual Canadian, I think.
Headgear.
*snort*
Your blog is very funny. You do it well. Don't stop.
Don't you just love wicked-pedia?
I've always pronounced it "meme", like the French too (and P-Dawg is a hoot... having worked in a French owned company for 12 years...well, no further words).
Don't tell hubs that I'm pronouncing it wrong. He's still laughing at the fact that I thought Paul Young, solo 8os singer, was dead. (It was another one).
I'm so glad that you discovered blogging, I look forward to your posts all the time, (but no pressure, even if you wrote about watching paint dry, I'd be cheering you on.).
Love that banner.
I thought it was "mehm" too. Oh well. I don't think I'll change in my brain. It feels too weird!
I thought it was pronounced Me!Me! because it is about me!me! Go figure not the first time I was wrong, not the last either. Like the new banner.
I love the new banner!
I'm a me!me! girl. Pronounciation has never been my thang.
I hear you on feeling like you are in high school sometimes. Its awkward and I dont like it. Which is why I always come here because you make this place feel so comfortable!
I must tell the husband that it was "meem" as I suspected. We discussed it recently after he called me a Blog Nerd for participating in one. Nice.
-andi
The new banner is super cute.
You have my sympathy re. germs... JOZ is barfing noisily tonight and JOZ-B may have another ear infection. Ugh.
I love your blog! It's wonderful -- you are such a gifted writer.
S.
p.s. did you really wear headgear??
You broke up with him to go live in France? You are SO COOL. I wanted to do that, too!
Leaving you a comment because you love them so.
Emily
Huh. I've been saying Me! Me! this whole time. Because, you know, it's allll about me me me me me. ;)
LOVE the new banner!
I love your blog too and you should never feel inadequate! You're awesome.
And thanks for the meme pronounciation--I've been calling it mehm. I may use your meme because I think I pissed a bunch of people off with today's post and probably need something innocuous for tomorrow!
I like your banner. Can I run away from my child one day?
With you on the "can't keep up" feeling sometimes. i liked reading this.
I think P-Dawg is right about the French.
"Feelings of inadequacy for posting mainly cotton candy in the face of so much thought provoking and gorgeous prose in the blogging circles I frequent."
Couldn't have said it better myself! I actually had to convince myself that my readers would not flock to the nearest exit if I posted something serious. I think we're too hard on ourselves to be the funny little blog monkeys everyone expects us to be. We need to cut ourselves some slack. We're pretty awesome at whatever we do.
But, girl, you make the best cotton candy!
Hey. I somehow missed this and just wanted to say aw shucks and thank you and blush and stuff.
xo,
OTJ
Post a Comment