Wednesday, August 27, 2008

BooBees

I have a fear of bees.

You'll recognize me as the person who goes nuts at the picnic if a honeybee so much as ventures within a five mile radius of my plate. I'm the one who will flip the table over in my haste to flee, then ruin everyone's good time by hovering nervously and trying to shoo it away for the remainder of the outing.

I'm not even allergic, just skeert.

But bees were the furthest thing from my mind this morning as I tripped along a flower lined sidewalk at the local outdoor shopping plaza, on my way to purchase a birthday gift for the P-Dawg.

I was minding my own beeswax (HAR!), thinking merry thoughts and humming a Barry White tune in my head when I walked straight into a swarm of honeybees (and by "swarm," I mean, "one or two").

As luck would have it, one of those bees made a beeline (you don't see it, but I just fell off my chair and am ROTFL) for my shirt and disappeared therein.

I reacted the way any sane mellisophobe would do: by flailing hysterically, renting my garments, and dancing a little jig as confused eyewitnesses watched from the sidelines.

By some crazy miracle, I was not stung.

But what's even more amazing is that the kamikaze bee who flew down my shirt? Fell out onto the sidewalk, DEAD AS A DOORNAIL (or dazed and confused, at the very least).

I can only assume it was my boobees that struck him down.

(Incidentally, tobacco is supposed to be a good antidote for a bee sting. I got stung on a Girl Scout camping trip once and was carrying on about it until our scout leader stubbed out her Virgina Slims menthol, broke it in half, and smeared the tobacco combined with some spit on the affected area. Which totally shut me up. I hope somebody gave her a badge for that. "Bee prepared," is what I always say.)


OK, who threw that tomato?

26 comments:

Becca said...

Oh my gosh. Our children's childhoods are going to be so different than ours aren't they? No Virginia Slims for them. It's a shame really.

Way to kill the bee with your boobs!

Amy said...

I'm terrified of bees to but only because I'm allergic to so many things that I don't know what would happen if I got stung! I somehow manage to keep my cool when the kids are around though so I don't freak them out too!

And good for you for killing that bee!

AJU5's Mom said...

Bees and other flying bugs scare the bejeezus out of me. So I think your reaction was warranted!

Heather said...

Oh, and here I thought that was ME that was running around trying to escape the bees at picnics.

very funny stuff.

painted maypole said...

he he he

and the girl scout leader with the cigarette? so not happening in this century!

flutter said...

LOL ok, the tomato line just made me cackle

Vodka Mom said...

I'm glad I'm not the only girl out there who cracks herself up...if you can't entertain yourself, you might as well hang it up, right?

p.s. wish I coulda been a bee on the wall, so I could have witnessed the flailing. That would've totally cracked me up. and the DEAD BEE? Bwahahahaha.

Janet said...

How do you scare a bee?

BOObee!

How do you scare a bee to death?

Rima's boobies.

(ducks tomato and exits left)

Amy said...

HAHAHA -- BooBees! Hysterical.

My boss recently was out of town and e-mailed me about something, and ended with "I'll probably give you a call tomorrow." I replied with "Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I'm sober."

Then I immediately send him another e-mail that said "I crack myself UP!"

And he e-mailed back and said "I'm very glad you can entertain yourself. You are a strange woman."

(Think I'll get a raise this year?)

Skiplovey said...

COL! (chuckling out loud)

I have bee aversion too! (albeit mild) So does tobacco deter them as well ease the pain? It's been years since I quit smoking but shoot, doesn't it just suck when they will NOT fly away from the picnic table? Almost makes me want to grab a pack of Parliaments again. Kidding...(kind of)

zdoodlebub said...

Oh, it is a different age in which to raise our kids, huh? That's funny.

(I got called a hypochondriac once because I was having an asthma attack.)

Kelly said...

I'm the same way about bees. I feel really bad about it, since I gobble up all their delicious honey.

Last summer, this bee flew right at my head and I went to shield my face. That little bastard stung me on the index finger. I swear, he attacked me!

I can't believe you escaped a sting with a bee actually within the confines of your clothing. Miraculous.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I am skeert of bees too. Beestards.

S said...

Awesome story. The beest.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

Thats the best bewbie power story I've ever heard.. nice job!

Kmommy said...

LOL!!! that is so my husband around bees. and we have wasps that are getting in the back porch somehow - hubby is permanently using the front door until I permanently kill all wasps from the back.

justmylife said...

Bees and wasp used to make me give up my house. If they came in, I went out. After years of leaving my home to them, I finally started just keeping wasp spray and laughing as they dive bomb the ground!

justmylife said...

Forgot to mention before, but you have an award at my place.

JCK said...

Wish I could have seen that Hail Mary Beejus dance. Although glad that you weren't stung.

Cigarettes are good for something!

Anonymous said...

"Bee prepared"...I had to laugh out loud at that one. :)

It's amazing that you weren't stung. My crazy bee story is that I brushed up against a dead bee...and the dead bee actually stung me!!! My hand swelled to three times its normal size in just a few minutes. I don't think I've ever been so freaked out in my life.

Anonymous said...

Oh You'd love my Lavender plants then. I have them along the side of the driveway so they smell gorgeous when you bush past them. However we have every bee in Blyth (that'll bee one then - chortle chortle) buzzing around them at the moment.

I love to watch them get all dusty with the pollen.

Magpie said...

Be prepared, that's the boy scout's marching song... (Tom Lehrer - I can't hear the phrase without thinking of that song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwjuz_-yao)

Vodka Mom said...

beeware the bees....

thought I'd stop by and say HI before school! buzz, buzz. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, you're not as much of a wuss as I am.

Spiders make me act like a girl.

Anonymous said...

Smoking or what we say smoke which leads to many health-related problems and give rise to many social stigma. To begin with, smoking or smoke gives you a strong nicotine addiction, which is harmful to your body. Few health related issue which smoker faces are breathing, losing sense of taste, tiredness etc, and such kind of physical problem. http://www.chantixhome.com/

Jennifer said...

HILARIOUS!! Love, love, love the bee humor, I'm totally ROFLPIMP.

You must have amazing superpowers to have killed the bee. ;)