Monday, August 04, 2008

"Thank You for Not Unsubscribing"

I've managed to keep this blog alive for a year. It's an accomplishment I'm rather proud of because there have been times when I wanted to put it through the shredder.

I think I created "Rimarama" in early 2007, posted a single (and very self-conscious) entry, then promptly forgot where it was located in cyberspace. I found the blog again in the beginning of August last year, and that's when I began fartin' all over the Internet on a regular basis.

Except that I had no idea what I was in for. At first I viewed blogging only as an exercise in creative writing and I enjoyed it very much. I looked forward to that magical one hour window every afternoon when the kids were napping or otherwise occupied to sit down in front of my laptop and flex the old front temporal lobe, which had begun to atrophy from misuse.

Then I discovered "mommy blogs," and thought that I might like to marry them. I wondered how it was that I'd survived the past three years of stay-at-home motherhood without gorging myself daily on the intimate details of other womens' lives.

I started to get greedy. Could I, too, be included on someone's blogroll? Might I cajole a hapless surfer to stumble upon my humble little web site and leave a comment? Could I get them to return and bring all of their friends? Begin selling Rimarama T-shirts and mugs? Build my own internet empire around poop and boogers?

As it happens, I cannot haz empire. But I can have a creative outlet, a sense of accomplishment, kick-ass readers, commenters, and honest to goodness friends.

I can also have feelings of inferiority, ridiculous self-imposed posting requirements, imaginary reciprocation commitments, and an unhealthy perspective on blogging in the grand scheme of things.

Now that a full year has passed, I'm belatedly asking myself what my ultimate goal is here. This blog is a chronicle of my life and that of my family that I hope will live in posterity, but I would be delusional to think I'm not writing for an audience. Knowing that someone is out there reading, enjoying, and possibly chuckling at what I have to say is my motivation for putting it out there in the first place.

As much as I would love to expand my readership, I've learned that, when it comes right down to it, I don't want to do the things it takes to actively grow my blog.

I suck at social networking sites.

I'm not willing to tailor my style of writing to appeal to a large audience.

I'm terrified of guest posting, asking for links, and generally pimpin' myself out.

And I'm generally too lazy to participate in memes, carnivals, and award chains.

I want to write when the urge hits and about whatever strikes my fancy.

I want to keep it light, and I want to get better at it.

I want to get a kick out of re-reading my own damn post or watching a smile spread slowly across the P-Dawg's face as he reads it.

If possible, I want you to leave here smiling, but if I can't pull it off, if I'm not feeling the funny, if my idea of funny is not the same as yours, even if you unsubscribe, I want to let it roll off my back.

I once told a friend that I knew I wasn't a "writer at heart" because I didn't feel a driving need to write every day. But a funny thing happened once I started writing here - I found it was hard to stop. Like exercising, the more I did it, the more I wanted to continue.

At minimum, writing regularly in this space has forced me to use brain cells that might have otherwise died watching Oprah. The act of wrapping words around my quotidian experiences as wife, mother, woman allows me to see them with a clarity and perspective that would have been lost if they'd slipped away, unrecorded.

One day soon I hope to convince myself that my subscriber count, my Technorati ranking, or the number of comments I get is not really a testament to the quality of my writing or the relevance of what I have to say. Right now, I almost believe it.

That said, I am truly grateful for every one of you who reads regularly or stops by from time to time to entertain my delusions of grandeur.

You totally make my day.



P.S. Which one of you f*ck#rs unsubscribed yesterday????

50 comments:

P-Dawg said...

Happy Blog-o-versary

P-Dawg said...

Oh, and I just re-subscribed.

AJU5's Mom said...

Okay ) find it funny that P-Dawg is the one that unsubscribed!
Congrats on one year!

Amy said...

Ok, I did recently clean out my feed reader, but I swear, I left the RamaFeed subscription!

Claire B. said...

I read, I enjoy, I chuckle. Frequently. Mission accomplished. And I totally get what you're saying here. I feel the same on many of your observations.

Melanie said...

You most certainly have the heart of a writer, and possibly the brain, balls, and that itchy part of the knee-pit of one, too.

Marmite Breath said...

I'm not even subscribed! But only because I don't know what the hell that means! I read you from my google homepage every single time you post.

And I'm SOOO glad that you have a blog, because I completely love your writing, girl.

Kat said...

You rock! I am so glad I found you. I ALWAYS leave with a smile on my face. As a matter of fact I think a little bit of pee came out when I read that last line.
Happy 1 year!

Jenna said...

You ALWAYS make me smile. And I know you make others do, too. Take that. Embrace it.

Also, do it for yourself, if anyone at all...

JCK said...

I adore you. You are a fabulous writer. That is why I come here. Write it well and they will come. I think it speaks of truth.

I loved your post.

blackpetero said...

Personally, I think you have one of the best mommy blogs out there. Nice work and keep at it. As long as you write, I will not unsubscribe.

Nora said...

Can I plagiarize this for my blog anniversary? My thoughts exactly. Congrats!

(And I'm too low tech to subscribe to anything so add +1 to your mental list of readers)

Anonymous said...

I like to come here for a laugh and to hear more about you crazy Americans and your crazy lives. being English we are for too proper for that kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

I've been in the blog world for 3 years. Your writing has enough to stand on it's own without memes and such.

Knot

Vodka Mom said...

and YOU totally make MY day!!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I TOTALLY understand!! I get all pissy when my numbers drop by 1. ONE? One person decides I'm not their cup of tea and unsubscribes and I get my panties in a bunch?!?

Waiting Amy said...

Not ME! You always make me laugh. Plus, you give me hope that there is light at the end of the med school/residency tunnel.

Happy Blog-o-versary!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Ha, I love P-Dawg's comment.

It will be hard for me to NOT write a book length comment. Let me just say, I totally feel ya. It's so refreshing to find a fellow blogger (whom is so stinking talented) that ISN'T IN IT FOR THE NUMBERS (be it subscribers, technorati, ...)

Happy Blogiversary. May you party like a rock star.

Becca said...

I LOVE YOUR SITE!! DON'T EVER STOP! You crack me up. And I am so proud when you leave me a comment on my site because I am secretly very jealous of your comment numbers.

I feel the same way as you, though, about my own site. It's addictive... making people laugh, the community, the shared experiences.

Skiplovey said...

Me too. Totally me too. And shoot I was going to blog about it. Oh well, back to natural disasters and complaints about the weather.

Keep it up, I loveth the Rima blog!

Amy said...

Oh you stole this post from my brain!!

I also can't tailor my stuff and I refuse / cannot spend the time network/build traffic. And I lack focus - I have to own that one.

Your blog is one of the first I ever added to Reader (that post about telling the babysitter Mom's not crazy. I peed my pants laughing.) You are SO talented!

I will never unsubscribe The Rimarama! Even if you posted once a month. Or even quarterly.

Anonymous said...

Dude. I love you for this post. Lately, I'm all Blah, blahging. It's become a bit of a chore really. Methinks I need a break.

And even though I've been doing some cleaning out of the reader (I read WAY too many blogs) you shall never, ever be banished.

gadzooks64 said...

And I thought I was the only one who was anal about checking my stats!

Nina Diane said...

love the post and just so you know, I had a big smile the whole time I read it!

Angela DeRossett said...

Happy Blogaversary..Rima-Neurotic!

Lovin' your blog and wouldn't dream of unsubscribing!

Sarahviz said...

I think we have the same point of view. I don't get all the social networking--I'm inept like that.

San Diego Momma said...

So very many "amens" to this post. Right down to the Oprah brain-sucking.

I could have written this. Except not as well. Maybe 65% as well. But probably not.

Heather said...

Happy Blogiversary!

I too suck at the blog networking stuff. Twitter? I forget to log in and tweet for days on end.

Unknown said...

Hey....I am so blog-ignorant that I don't even know how to subscribe.... but I check rimarama every single day to see if something new has been posted! Your writing is poignant and hilarious.

zdoodlebub said...

Thanks for writing the post that my soul has been composing for months. I'm back to blogging after much inconsistency for six months. Finally, after much constipation, I have a "blog purpose" note-to-self hanging by my computer. It is, quite simply, to document our lives and what I was thinking about along the way.

(I think you started your blog just a couple weeks after I started mine. And your readership is quadruple. Rockstar, you are.)

:)

lapoflux said...

I found you after the wall debate on Beanpaste. I think you're very witty, and feel the same way about what you wrote - I might have to figure out how to subscribe (but it would use brain cells I can't remember how to use...)
Happy blogoversary

flutter said...

not me!!!

Beck said...

You are SO funny.
I have no idea why I blog. I enjoy it, it's good writing practice, I like the attention, something something. The day I stop liking it, I quit.

Magpie said...

You make my day too.

Kelly said...

Dude. This was awesome. Every other day, I consider quitting blogging, because of the list of items you've so aptly written about the process one must go through to capture an insanely huge audience. And then I need to talk myself down, get the foot out of my ass, and write. Lately, though, my writing has pretty much blown. Damn. Can't catch a bloggy break.

Janet said...

I lurves me some rimarama. :)

I think you're writing for all the right reasons. I was analyzing my reasons for doing this blogging thing, earlier this summer, wondering if I should stop. Then a writer friend of mine had us over for a pool party. He is a silent reader of my blog. He predicted that I am going to be so pleased to have this chronicle of my life when I'm much further along in years. So on I write, and in very good company.

Minnesota Matron said...

Rima! Oh you sum up the Matron's attitude, exactly. She has a steadily growing number of (quiet -- not so many comments) readers but for the life of her, she just cannot pimp her blog. Like you, she visits a few here and there when the hour and spirit converge.

Please keep writing. The journey, the journey. . . . whoever unsubscribed has a mental illness.

Didn't you know that?

Jennifer S said...

Okay, step away from Feedburner... very slowly. I read something a while back that said those fluctuations can be a server glitch at Feedburner. My number goes up or down almost every day. It's hardly ever the same as the day before.

(I'm learning not to panic when it goes down, but geez, it's hard!)

I love your writing, and I loved this post.

Jen said...

I love your blog - and although I don't subscribe (to any - because that just seems so technical) I type in your URL at least several times a week.

As for the "Why do I blog" question? Sounds like you're right on target with asking that one...I'm right there with you - and it's been 17 months for me.

KC said...

I'm with you, Rima, all the way. Not willing to go all out to get readers. It's nice not having the pressure to perform, KWIM?

Glad you're in this blog world.

alejna said...

Wow, a whole year. And look at all the birthday cards you've gotten! I mean comments. It must feel like your mailbox is packed full. But not with junkmail. (Of course, this tempts me to leave you some spam. You interested in any cheap prescr1p+ion drvg$?)

Count me in on the list of people who enjoy reading and chuckling at what you've written. And occasionally even snorting. (I mean with laughter. Sheesh.)

Karen MEG said...

And you've made mine... day, I mean. Besides, I don't even know how the hell to unsubscribe to anything once it's on my reader ;)

A whole year, eh? That's gone by fast... so glad I found you, Rima. Happy anniversary!

You just keep on writing for yourself. That's why us fans keep coming.

painted maypole said...

unsubscribe? never!!

I'm so glad that RimaRama was born! :) happy blog-i-versary

Anonymous said...

You rock, Rima!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Someone unsubscribed from me, too; I take it as a personal affront.

Wandered over from Beanpaste - glad to meet you! You won't regret the blogging - I wish I had had it when my oldest kids were little. I have such an excellent record of what we've done the past year because of my blog!

Jennifer Powell said...

Happy Anniversary! I found you through Bean Paste. Love your style and posts! Hope the move from the hut and transition goes well. Will be checking you out more. Take care!

Jen said...

Coming for someone who has six devout readers, my mom included, I just do it for pure expression of what goes on over here in my little world. It's not much, but it's me. This post put a smile on my face for sure. Thank you!

Jen said...

Oops, I should have actually said all my six readers are family and friends. And you know what, I like it like that.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kmommy said...

LOL!! Just stumbled here from What Works for Us. And I will be subscribing (actually I think I did somewhere in the middle of this post - oh yes I did, right at "I suck at social network sites") and will be coming back :)