Sure, there's the muscle atrophy and the weight gain la la la, but that pales in comparison to the fact that the Jazzercise people just keep on charging your credit card every month. Even if you haven't stepped foot in their smelly old gym for almost a year.
And because of this, your husband will badger you until it gets so that you can't even have a normal conversation anymore without the subject turning to Jazzercise:
Rimarama: "Top o' the morning to ye, P-Dawg! 'Tis my earnest hope that the new day finds you well-rested and in good spirits, yea, forsooth."
P-Dawg: "Did you cancel your Jazzercise membership yet?"
Rimarama: "I will do it on the morrow."
P-Dawg: "I've heard that before. How hard can it be to call them up and quit?"
Rimarama: "Tis a wretched chore, my lord. When first I endeavored to do the exercise of jazz, they gave unto me a scrap of parchment to render forth if a time came such that I was desirous to break free of the Jazzercing coil. But I LOST that slip of paper, P-Dawg, not two days forth unto the Jazzercising."
P-Dawg: "OK, so-"
Rimarama: "Plus, you have to show up in person during a regularly scheduled class, with your passport and firstborn! Also something about tap dancing and turning in an essay explaining why you are forsaking your cardiovascular health. It sounded worse than trying to get out of AOL, or even quitting the Firm!"
(Plus, you never know when the urge to don a unitard and shake your booty in the school gym will hit again.)
Well, last week I finally faced the music and worked up the nerve to go cancel. With the P-Dawg cheering me on, I pulled out of my driveway, drove across town, parked the Ramamobile, waltzed into the community center, and marched right up to the attendance ladies who were sitting at their little card table by the gym entrance, punching tickets and peddling their Jazzercise wares.
I was a woman on a mission, speeding bulletlike toward my target. I knew that if I wavered for even one second, the Jazzercise mafia would suck me in, convincing me to "just give it one more shot" and I'd end up inside that gym doing jazz hands to a Carly Simon song in my street clothes next to Velma of the velour pantsuit.
It was going to be of the utmost importance that I establish a no-nonsense "I will not take no for an answer" attitude if I was going to accomplish the dirty business at hand.
"May I help you?"
"Yes! I need to cancel my membership. I recently moved and it's been really hard to attend class at this location. Also my kid kept freaking out in the daycare room but I could never make it to the evening class on time because my husband works late. But don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the class and it's very unfortunate that I can no longer attend but OK, see here's the deal, I lost the little slip of paper, you know, the thingy you're supposed to bring with you to cancel? They told me I needed to hold on to that and, well, I totally lost it, but you can't really blame me because I moved and then we were living out of a suitcase with my parents for like two months and I really hope it's not going to be a problem because-
"Just sign here."
"Oh! OK! Do you need to see my credit card?"
"No."
"Really? How about a drivers' license or state ID?"
"No, just the signature is fine."
"OK . . . I could write an essay explaining the reason for my cancellation! A brief synopsis, if you will."
"No, just the signature."
"Huh. I'm guessing you don't want to see me tap dance."
(silence)
"Okey-doke, then . . . (signs name with flourish.) Wow, that was so much easier than I thought it would be!"
"No problem. You could have just called."
Readers, I turned and walked out with a spring in my step and a song in my heart. It was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and placed directly back into my wallet.
Except . . . now the weather's turned cold and speedwalking is out of the question, I need a new means of maintaining my cardiovascular health. I'll be frank - the treadmill bores me to tears and I do have a tendency to lose my footing. And if you say, "You could always jump rope in the privacy of your living room," I'll mess you up like I messed up my pot roast.
No, what I could really use is a Wii Fit, and Magpie's got one to spare.
I need a Wii Fit because it:
- Won't subject the little J-dog to the horrors of the daycare room
- Won't auto-deduct from my bank account
- Could care less what time I show up for class
- Won't charge me for missed days
- Is way cooler and more up to date than Jazzercising
- And it sure as heck won't put me through the wringer if I ever decide to break up with it. (Which I totally never would.)
Oh! Would that I had one!
16 comments:
you are a total nut. I love it!
that was great. I love chuckles with my martinis.
I will fight you for it, you medieval wench!
I love it!
I hope you win!
'Tis with great sorrow in my heart that I tell you I have already wished another Lady of the Blogs luck in winning this contest. And yet, your tale has so warmed my weary spirit that I would, forsooth, wish you would win. It is a great joy that I do not have to make this decision.
LOL! That was too funny! And the Wii fit sounds fab! I have heard so much good on it I'm thinking of hinting to the in-laws that we want one even though the wife would kill me! lol
I love the notion of you conversing with your husband in Tudor-esque english.
Good luck, my sweet rival!
You kill me - this is hilarious!
I dunno, it berates you if you're off balance. You sure you want that?
Velma. She's bad news.
But you are awesome.
This totally reminds me of that episode of Friends...
Chandler: I wanna quit the gym!
It took me six months to quit a gym once. I'm pretty sure I had to walk across hot coals to break the contract.
Good luck with the contest.
I wish that was my quitting-the-gym experience. I politely explained that I would rather put diapers on my newborn than get hit on while using the free weights, and they tried to talk me out of it. I mean really.
I love "forsooth". Damn, thanks for bringing that back into my life.
I have a Wii fit, which was used for exactly 2.1 months and then promptly forgotten.
Medieval Rima ... love it!
I got my hands on a Wii fit a couple of weeks ago (literally dropped everything, drove like a madwoman ad pounced ... what is it with me and Wii???!!) and it's been a novelty; but there's something a little weird about doing step aerobics with a roomful of bobbleheads.
Post a Comment