You don't often think of a humor writers' conference as the place for somber introspection. I had a fabulous time swinging from the chandeliers with a great group of fun loving and talented people at the Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop last weekend, but in fact I left with a few tough bones to chew.
I learned from author Wade Rouse that really good writing - and especially the humorous kind - is often borne of heartache and comes from a place of deep vulnerability. (A place where I rarely venture.)
I learned that if you are writing something for entertainment value alone, it better be devastatingly funny. Better to write well and have a deeper message so if the humor bombs, at least the piece will not. (Ooof!)
And I was reminded that an essential element of success is daily discipline. You have to write often and copiously to hone your craft and get better and better at it. There is no such thing as writers' block. You just sit down and write, even if that means getting up at five o' clock and staring at the wall.
Finally, I witnessed firsthand how people who come to conferences prepared with business cards and armed with 30 second pitches, as well as those who network confidently with everyone they meet instead of, for example, donning a cloak of invisibility and going to bed early, end up hobnobbing with published writers. (Note to self: next time, bring business cards, stay up late, wear Louboutins.)
But don't get me wrong. I had a great time and met a lot of fabulous people, like the brilliant and multi-talented KC, Choonkooloonks, Wendi Aarons, Smacksy, and Jennifer from These Are the Days, just to name a few.
I heard New York Times columnist Gail Collins rock the house with her keynote speech, listened to hilarious USA Today columnist Craig Wilson read his work, and watched live stand-up comedy expertly executed by Late Show writer Bill Scheft.
I had the chance to stand up in front of a full auditorium and read a piece I'd written.
I was hypnotized and learned how to apply guided imagery techniques in my writing.
I was mistaken for a girl scout while earnestly trying to network one day at lunch. That was a total bummer.
I got carded at a college bar with Classy Chaos. That was fun!
And . . . one more thing. My nagging suspicion that this blog I started almost three years ago as a creative outlet and a way to pass the time while the kids napped doesn't feel quite right anymore was confirmed.
Since I had no business cards with me, I said "RimaRama" out loud a lot. And it sounded kind of stupid. I also spent about ten minutes trying to explain to one person what the suffix "rama" means. And here I always thought it was pretty self-explanatory. (She also wondered why I was wearing a crown in my header and I was like, "because this blog is my alter ego and my alter ego wears a crown." And she was like . . . "Hmmmmm." Then I thanked her and ran away.)
So I'm thinking - just thinking - about killing RimaRama off and starting anew.
But I'm not going anywhere just yet. I will keep you posted!
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I always liked RimaRama and thought that rama was totally self-explanatory. But I will follow where you lead, my dear.
I think RimaRama is rather brilliant!!
I'm on the side of RimaRama - but do as you need to do! Gail Collins is pretty awesome in print; cool that you saw her live.
I like RimaRama, too. But I'll still love you if you try something new. (I mean, assuming you don't run off and hide your new project from me.)
The conference sounds really great. I'm so glad you went and more than a little jealous.
That sounds really interesting!
Rama is totally self explanatory. Anyone who doesn't get it takes herself too seriously. For real.
But if you wanted to start anew, I would follow you over there! Especially if you're going to get EVEN funnier. Although I will remember not to drink a beverage while I read because it will come out my nose if I do.
Perfect recap, and supporting you whichever way you go. I also am fond of the 'rama. =)
What? No! I love RimaRama and I think it encapsulates your blog perfectly. Don't get sidelined by blog jealousy-I think we all have it from time to time.
Now, now. Just because some hoighty toighty doesn't get it doesn't mean you should go changing yourself. You stay exactly who you are. If you don't like your blog anymore, that is one thing, but if you change it because you think others don't like it then that is CA-RAZY! Some people just need to get a fun sense of humor! :)
Glad you had a great time at the workshop. And to be honest I wouldn't have brought business cards or anything either. I'm not a fan of all that networking. But maybe that is just my antisocial side coming out. ;)
Found you through your beautifully written post at The Women's Colony. Am looking forward to what you decide with to do with your site. Have you thought about using your full name dot com and just...well...going for it?
I'm with Professor J. You are so incredibly talented. I know that your humor is good enough. It really is.
I met Smacksy last week! The blogger BOSSY came through town and it brought several of us together. She lives just minutes away from me. Smacksy said she attended the conference, and I wondered if you two had met.
So glad you took the change and went!
Tiaras: I have one in the stoneware bowl that lives on my counter, holding bananas and apples. I wear it when the mood strikes.
And anything "o-rama" or "-rama" is totally understood from my generation (now 40 yrs old). So thbbbbbb to her for not getting your youthful humor.
Post a Comment